The benefit of working less is that I have a little more time to sew. Unfortunately my metaphorical sewing eyes are bigger than my stomach, as it were. I keep finding more and more projects that I want to do, but I don’t have as much time as I think I do. I have collected a nice bit of fabric, recently. I can’t seem to escape a fabric store without at least a small remnant. I keep telling myself I’ll just make my daughter a ton of gathered elastic-waistband skirts with all the cotton prints. Well, I haven’t managed to get any skirts sewn for my daughter, but I did manage to get one sewn for me! I found this lovely folklore animal print fabric at my local Joann fabrics, it was just calling out for me to make it into a skirt. The fabric makes me think of Ballet Folklorico skirts, with their bold primary colors and patterns. I was planning a floor-length skirt but I only had about 1.5 yards and it wasn’t quite enough to make a fold-over waistband and still have enough width at the hem. So I went with a tea length instead. (I don’t tend to wear short skirts because my legs are always covered in bruises. Because I bruise if you look at me funny.)
I didn’t want to sacrifice length for a fold-over waistband and I forgot to save enough fabric (well, any fabric) for an attached waistband, so I went ahead and sewed the skirt to a wide elastic band. The seams are finished with serging and the elastic is sewn right-sides-together to the skirt.
The best part? Pockets! I can’t really carry that much in them; anything heavy bangs against my legs due to the volume of the skirt. But who doesn’t love pockets?
The skirt has a lovely 1950s vibe, being full and high-waisted. Unfortunately I needed to cut the elastic with a bit more negative ease because it slips a bit. So I wore it with a belt. We took the pictures at LACMA. We had mother’s day dinner at Ray’s and Stark Bar, inside the LACMA grounds. Fancy! One day I will actually go to the museum too… Details! Pattern: Just two large rectangles gathered into an elastic waistband. I borrowed the pockets from a dress pattern I own. Fabric: 1.5 yards of novelty cotton print Notions: A little less than a yard of 1.5 in wide woven elastic Cost: I think around $10-15 for the fabric and maybe a dollar for the elastic Thoughts: This was pretty easy to make, even with the pockets. I could have finished it in an afternoon, except I had to stop and get wider elastic. If I made it again, the only change I would make is to sew the gathered skirt fabric flat to the wrong side of the elastic (right side of the fabric to wrong side of the elastic) instead of right-sides-together. Because it is a stiff fabric, sewing the elastic and the fabric facing each other causes the gathers to stand out like cartridge pleats once the seam is turned up, which creates a lot of volume around the waist. This means it looks really funny if I wear a tight t-shirt over it; I have to tuck the t-shirt in. Otherwise I love it, and want several more of them in different fabrics.