Historical Sew Fortnightly Challenge #4

Posted by on Feb 26, 2013 in Historical Costuming | Comments Off on Historical Sew Fortnightly Challenge #4

Historical Sew Fortnightly Challenge #4

I quite missed #1 and 2, since I didn’t hear about this until earlier this month.  Then during #3 I started making the 1911 corset but got waylaid by Purim, and as per previous post knew I had better finish off an old costume rather than start on anything new.  But nothing I had to finish for Purim really fit into either of the recent challenges..  Plus it’s been really busy at work, which is pretty normal this time of year and I’ve had a lot of spill-over of work through my lunch hour and into the evenings, which really eats into my time to do much of anything.  So working an extra project hasn’t really happened.

HSFsm

I did try a few things.  I started doing a bit of crochetingfor the neckline ofmy 1580s peasant chemise, but when I pulled out the chemise I decided it wasn’t really right for this outfit.  For some reason only my self of 4 years ago actually understands, the chemise I originally made had fairly narrow, fitted sleeves, and the original painting inspiration has pretty full sleeves.  So I thought perhaps I’d better wait to trim only the new chemise, and I didn’t have the materials yet.  So I moved on to planning some embroidery work on the twill tape guards I want to put on the overdress once I remake the bodice, but I couldn’t find any cotton twill tape at the local fabric store and I want to onion-skin dye the twill tape, so that didn’t work out.  Then I thought I might embellish the apron, which I had never finished four years ago, but when I pleated it and tried it on it wasn’t wide enough (thanks again, me of 4 years ago).

 

I would say I’m not normally this scattered, but that would be alie.

Needless to say, I also didn’t finish my 1580s dress in time for Purim and wound up just making a skirt for my halloween fantasy pirate costume, which originally had pantsI didn’t like.  The skirt was made in less than an hour and on the cheap, and doesn’t really have the fullness I was hoping for.  I also want to fix the bodice.  I used cheap plastic boning, which buckles badly, as you can see.  Perhaps if there was more of it, but it’s only to support the lacing.  Don’t use cheap boning.

Purim-2013-269

Please excuse the stupid speech bubble protecting someone else’s privacy.

Anyway, getting to the challenge again.  Since the local renaissance fair is  coming upin April, my little one clearly needs a peasant dress to match mine, so I’m going to throw one together, and I thought I might experiment with some braided trim.  Braiding 8 strands together is not so easy, and this is how far I got in 2 hours (granted the first hour was largely spent starting and restarting different braid options until I got one to work).

mailIt’s kind of pretty, I think.